Is there a song about museums?
Friday was the Vatican Museum.
On our way to the museum, the seven of us passed by St. Peter's Square where we realized they were setting up for a canonization this weekend! Utterly awesome.

But back to the museum
If I recall correctly, the Vatican Museum has the largest collection of art anywhere in the world.
And - wow.
Some people might be offended at the idea of the Church having so much "expensive" artwork. Sell the art and feed the poor and all that.
I, on the other hand, am so grateful that the Church managed to save and protected so much art for the world to see hundreds and thousands of years later. All this would otherwise have been lost, destroyed, or hidden away for some private collector.
As Steven said, I could have spent a year here and not been finished.
So many places didn't allow photography, most specifically the Sistine Chapel. It was - awe inspiring. Last time I was here, the University took us on a tour and we ended up only having 5 or 10 minutes in the Sistine Chapel. This time, the kids were kind enough to stay and look for more than half an hour. And it still wasn't enough.
Karina wanted to walk all around and look at the stories - that kid has a shocking grasp of remarkably grown-up concepts. It was fun discussing the things that she noticed and thought were important, as well as the things that she didn't notice at all. She couldn't have cared less about the iconic Creation section, but was utterly fascinated with the exodus from Egypt and the Golden Calf.
Mum and Daddy were tired after a while, so they sat in the sun
while the rest of us went into the tapestry and painting rooms.
Wow. That's all I can say. I could have spent an entire week just in this section.
Irene was in heaven noticing the light, color balance, and placement in the portraits. (The fact that this is St. Irene tending to the wounds of St. Sebastian particularly tickled her)
Sadly, we just didn't have enough time before we had to meet up with my parents, get them one last gelato, and head them home in a taxi. (I especially enjoy the bugging out eyes of the taxi drivers when they see our entire group and the visible sigh of relief when I tell them "solo tre persone e sedia a rotelle" (Only three people, plus the wheelchair) We enjoyed trinket shopping on our way home and then sat down to our last meal, trying to finish off the food in the fridge.
There has been no rain for the last four days. I don't know if I love this or resent it.
And just for Andrew, an entire collection of derpy lions:
On our way to the museum, the seven of us passed by St. Peter's Square where we realized they were setting up for a canonization this weekend! Utterly awesome.
(see the six pictures hanging? Those are the soon-to-be saints.
Two of them are Syro-Malabar Rite! A short bit about the new saints )
Two of them are Syro-Malabar Rite! A short bit about the new saints )
But back to the museum
If I recall correctly, the Vatican Museum has the largest collection of art anywhere in the world.
And - wow.
Some people might be offended at the idea of the Church having so much "expensive" artwork. Sell the art and feed the poor and all that.
As Steven said, I could have spent a year here and not been finished.
So many places didn't allow photography, most specifically the Sistine Chapel. It was - awe inspiring. Last time I was here, the University took us on a tour and we ended up only having 5 or 10 minutes in the Sistine Chapel. This time, the kids were kind enough to stay and look for more than half an hour. And it still wasn't enough.
Karina wanted to walk all around and look at the stories - that kid has a shocking grasp of remarkably grown-up concepts. It was fun discussing the things that she noticed and thought were important, as well as the things that she didn't notice at all. She couldn't have cared less about the iconic Creation section, but was utterly fascinated with the exodus from Egypt and the Golden Calf.
Mum and Daddy were tired after a while, so they sat in the sun
(and wrote postcards, since they would be leaving the next day.)
while the rest of us went into the tapestry and painting rooms.
Wow. That's all I can say. I could have spent an entire week just in this section.
The tapestries covered entire walls and a differing perspective changed the entire picture.
(St. Paul's just sorta hangin' out with his sword and his book.)
Sadly, we just didn't have enough time before we had to meet up with my parents, get them one last gelato, and head them home in a taxi. (I especially enjoy the bugging out eyes of the taxi drivers when they see our entire group and the visible sigh of relief when I tell them "solo tre persone e sedia a rotelle" (Only three people, plus the wheelchair) We enjoyed trinket shopping on our way home and then sat down to our last meal, trying to finish off the food in the fridge.
There has been no rain for the last four days. I don't know if I love this or resent it.
Comments