Coffee Talk. Discuss.
While we were driving yesterday, Rebecca interrupted Steven and I and asked "Excuse me. May I please have permission to talk out loud?" (Let me note that this is not something that she regularly asks or that either of us has ever said. No clue where she got that idea. So we happily gave her permission.)
"I would like to talk to you about colors"
As this is the first line of conversation when she wants a "talk-over" and it begins to get stale, we declined the opportunity.
"How about shapes?"
Above statement holds true for the second line of conversation.
"All right then. Can we talk about the budget?"
To which Steven quickly laughed, "Um. NO! It's Saturday and I'm on vacation! I'm not discussing anything about the budget."
Pause. "All right. Then we'll talk about taxes."
****************************************
We told this story at the family party yesterday and someone thought that she must have picked up the words budget and taxes and didn't really understand them. So Rebecca was queried.
"Taxes are from VOTE! They pay for roads and schools and sports stadiums."
Not too bad an explanation. And budget?
"The budget is when you look at the computer and you say 'I need more money!'"
"I would like to talk to you about colors"
As this is the first line of conversation when she wants a "talk-over" and it begins to get stale, we declined the opportunity.
"How about shapes?"
Above statement holds true for the second line of conversation.
"All right then. Can we talk about the budget?"
To which Steven quickly laughed, "Um. NO! It's Saturday and I'm on vacation! I'm not discussing anything about the budget."
Pause. "All right. Then we'll talk about taxes."
****************************************
We told this story at the family party yesterday and someone thought that she must have picked up the words budget and taxes and didn't really understand them. So Rebecca was queried.
"Taxes are from VOTE! They pay for roads and schools and sports stadiums."
Not too bad an explanation. And budget?
"The budget is when you look at the computer and you say 'I need more money!'"
Comments
And, if you like, you can go to my blog: demontfortfan.blogspot.com
This way we can start a nice virtual discussion and I'll have real reason to post!
BTW, you have a beautiful and briliant daughter.
Or shall we discuss the nuances of German/American translations of Anglo names?
Perhaps just a debate regarding the merits of internet discussion vs traditional letter writing.
After I finished reading this post, Miriam said, "Mommy! What's SO funny?"
Right on, Rebecca!