In honor of Jen. And to curse myself for tomorrow.
A friend and I were recently e-mailing back and forth about some of the less joyful parts of motherhood. She has a newborn and a toddler and was bemoaning the lack of sleep that suddenly intensifies with the change from one child to two. When I expressed empathy, this was her reply:
And so, Jen, this is to reassure you that some fantasies do still exist.
(heard at 8:30 am with a soft knock at our door) "I'm sorry to wake you. But what time are we going to Mass? I don't want to be late."
(heard during the homily in the very loud and over active cryroom) "Mommy, I don't like it in here either. I can't hear Father talking."
(heard over breakfast) "Thank you, mama, for getting us donuts! These are WONDERFUL!"
(also over breakfast) "Daddy, would you like a taste of my cinnamon roll? Jonathan, here's a piece for you, too."
"Mama, here's the last donut. It's for you."
(heard after quiet time) "Mama? Should I clean up in here first or in the family room?"
(heard while in the midst of a deep conversation with Steven) "Should I practice my piano now? Or would that disturb you?"
(heard while getting the kids ready to leave) "It's okay, Daddy. I got the cups already."
(heard after they returned) "I was very good today and had a lot of fun, but when Daddy said it was time to go, I got my shoes on and waited by the door." (this statement was verified by Daddy)
(heard while having family singing time) "May I have a turn now? <pause while his sister looks disappointed> That's okay. Rebecca should go next."
(heard while having family singing time) "Mommy, is it okay if I go get myself ready for bed now?"
(heard while getting ready for bed) "May I switch the laundry before I unload the dishes in the morning?"
(heard after we closed their bedroom door) nothing.
Funny. I don't remember moving to Stepford...........
And your sleep stories are ruining my fantasy! I had this picture that as soon as kids turn three or four they look at the clock around 7:00 and say, "Mother, dear, let's not forget about bedtime! I'll be sure to finish the dishes in a hurry so that we can start bath and I can rush into bed!" You mean it doesn't happen that way??
And so, Jen, this is to reassure you that some fantasies do still exist.
(heard at 8:30 am with a soft knock at our door) "I'm sorry to wake you. But what time are we going to Mass? I don't want to be late."
(heard during the homily in the very loud and over active cryroom) "Mommy, I don't like it in here either. I can't hear Father talking."
(heard over breakfast) "Thank you, mama, for getting us donuts! These are WONDERFUL!"
(also over breakfast) "Daddy, would you like a taste of my cinnamon roll? Jonathan, here's a piece for you, too."
"Mama, here's the last donut. It's for you."
(heard after quiet time) "Mama? Should I clean up in here first or in the family room?"
(heard while in the midst of a deep conversation with Steven) "Should I practice my piano now? Or would that disturb you?"
(heard while getting the kids ready to leave) "It's okay, Daddy. I got the cups already."
(heard after they returned) "I was very good today and had a lot of fun, but when Daddy said it was time to go, I got my shoes on and waited by the door." (this statement was verified by Daddy)
(heard while having family singing time) "May I have a turn now? <pause while his sister looks disappointed> That's okay. Rebecca should go next."
(heard while having family singing time) "Mommy, is it okay if I go get myself ready for bed now?"
(heard while getting ready for bed) "May I switch the laundry before I unload the dishes in the morning?"
(heard after we closed their bedroom door) nothing.
Funny. I don't remember moving to Stepford...........
Comments
I'm sure I have moments like these too, it's just easier to complain about the hard times... :)
Tine