Mental connections from an under 21 mind
Rebecca and I are reading Little House in the Big Woods for school right now (interspersed with the 1930s American Girls' Kit Learns A Lesson. It's a weird juxtaposition.) Since there's a lot of technical details in the Little House books, which I didn't remember from my last reading of it 15 years ago, I've been doing a lot of explaination as we go along.
As we read the chapter on butchering time, Laura Ingalls Wilder got into a long discussion of the making of various pork by-products. Including headcheese. Now, despite it's name, there is no dairy products anywhere involved. (Meg, does that make it Rora-safe?) It does, however, include a large amount of pot-liquor for preservation. In my attempt to explain what liquor was, I said that it was a synonym for alcohol.
"That's what we put in grown up drinks. Like wine or margaritas or...."
"Oh, I know! Like hand gel! It's made of alcohol!!!"
As we read the chapter on butchering time, Laura Ingalls Wilder got into a long discussion of the making of various pork by-products. Including headcheese. Now, despite it's name, there is no dairy products anywhere involved. (Meg, does that make it Rora-safe?) It does, however, include a large amount of pot-liquor for preservation. In my attempt to explain what liquor was, I said that it was a synonym for alcohol.
"That's what we put in grown up drinks. Like wine or margaritas or...."
"Oh, I know! Like hand gel! It's made of alcohol!!!"
Comments