Barriers in many languages

I was trying to have a discussion with Steven that I didn't want the kids to understand. Foolishly expecting him to understand, I started prattling in German. He laughed at me and I slowed down, trying to combine pidgin German and ASL in riddles so as to be completely unintelligible to small children. And, as it turns out, anyone not gifted with telepathy. I was attempting to convey that we should give the kids a bath tomorrow.

I used the term "WC" auf Deutsche.
Steven looked perplexed, and signed the phonetic match "VT?"
"Nein. Der WC. Like 'Wo ist der WC?'"
Blank look.
" Like 'Donde esta el bano'?"
Comprehension. And then confusion as why VT would mean bathroom. (it usually refers to talking vegetables around here)
I signed WC to clarify and all was made clear, except the original point I was trying to get across.
At which point Rebecca interrupts our conversation (such as it was)

"I don't know where loo is!!"
Befuddled, Steven recovered from that random statement first. "Excuse me?"
"I don't know where loo is!"
I managed to recover..... and cover my giggles. "What is a loo?"

"Like in my Raggedy Ann songbook"
"Raggedy Ann...................."
"You mean like Skip to my Lou?"
"Yeah, I don't even know anyone named Lou!"

At which point, I started laughing and announced I had to blog that particular cultural and linguistic gymnastic feat. To which Rebecca responded,
"Daddy, you get to deal with this one"

OY!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ring Out Your Joy To God Our Strength

For all those who read this

Coffee Talk. Discuss.