The mommy within
Last night, Jonathan would NOT be settled. We put him to bed and he would start to doze off and then start screaming. Those of you who know Jonathan know that this is highly ususual.
First screaming I took. I went in, held him, rocked him, sang to him. He settled down and I put him back to bed. Silence reigned.
Ten minutes....................
Second screaming, Steven took. He went in and held Jonathan, walked him, made stupid-daddy-cooing noises. Jonathan settled down and Steven put him back to bed. Silence reigned.
Ten minutes..........
Third screaming I took. I went in, held him, rocked him, sang to him a little bit longer. He settled down and I put him back to bed. Silence reigned.
Ten minutes.........
Fourth screaming and Steven and I both looked a little shell-shocked. WHAT was wrong with our sweet boy? WHY was he so upset? WHAT could we do to help him? As Steven began to go upstairs for his turn, we heard a little voice carrying over the cries.
"It's okay Jonathan. I'm here. It's okay. Rebecca's here. I've got you. You're okay. Don't cry. I'm here. I'm here. You're okay. Thaaaaaat's right. Thaaaaaat's right. Sleep baby Bear. Sleeeeep. I'm here. I'm here. Shush shush shush. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh"
And silence reigned.
First screaming I took. I went in, held him, rocked him, sang to him. He settled down and I put him back to bed. Silence reigned.
Ten minutes....................
Second screaming, Steven took. He went in and held Jonathan, walked him, made stupid-daddy-cooing noises. Jonathan settled down and Steven put him back to bed. Silence reigned.
Ten minutes..........
Third screaming I took. I went in, held him, rocked him, sang to him a little bit longer. He settled down and I put him back to bed. Silence reigned.
Ten minutes.........
Fourth screaming and Steven and I both looked a little shell-shocked. WHAT was wrong with our sweet boy? WHY was he so upset? WHAT could we do to help him? As Steven began to go upstairs for his turn, we heard a little voice carrying over the cries.
"It's okay Jonathan. I'm here. It's okay. Rebecca's here. I've got you. You're okay. Don't cry. I'm here. I'm here. You're okay. Thaaaaaat's right. Thaaaaaat's right. Sleep baby Bear. Sleeeeep. I'm here. I'm here. Shush shush shush. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh"
And silence reigned.
Comments
Miriam tries that with Katie but Katie (OUR bear) won't accept Mommy substitutes! (not even Dad sometimes)
Just reading your blog for the first time -- sorry it's taken me so long!