Homeschooling and it's adversaries

I have been taking sewing lessons in order to brush up my poor rusty skills. Since the classes are in the middle of the day, I take the kids with me along with a bag of books, papers, and the ever-essential mp3 player with various audio lessons. (librivox.org is worth its weight in gold) This particular day, they were listening to their history lesson for the week.

The teacher is fine with the kids coming, but she is obviously of the old school who haven't quite left the 1980s behind. She started questioning why exactly it is that we homeschool, what the kids do outside of school for socialization, etc. She made the gross generalizations about the homeschoolers she knows who are lazy and don't want to bother with taking their kids to school or who want to keep their kids secluded and force the children to wear overalls and long frumpy jumpers. All homeschoolers know this particular drill. She didn't quite insinuate that they chewed straw and spat tobacca', but it was close. Then she asked the killer question: did I think my kids were really getting a good enough education by homeschooling.

As if exactly on cue, Jonathan took his headphones off and - in his little post orthodontics lisp - asked, "Mama, what's a quagmire?"

The look on that poor woman's face........ I almost felt bad for her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ring Out Your Joy To God Our Strength

For all those who read this

Coffee Talk. Discuss.