The oddest fights

Have you ever found yourself in the kind of situation where, were you watching your own behavior, you would laugh hysterically at this absurdist scene that looks like Douglas Adams would have written it?

After a long day of various fits from both of the kids, I finally gave them lunch (albeit an hour late, thanks to Jonathan's potty emergencies). Jonathan needed a "nankee!". I gave him -- GASP -- a blue one.

"NO!" he yelled, "No! A grey one!"
"Jonathan, I gave you a napkin. Use this one."
"A purple one!"
"Jonathan, I gave you a napkin. Use this one."
"With leaves on it!!"
"Jonathan, I gave you a napkin. Use this one."
"I go to the corner!!" and he went to put himself in the corner, still stomping, collapsing, and whimpering.

I decided that it was time for quiet time, even if he hadn't finished his lunch, and told him so. "NOOOOOO!!!! I go to the COOOORNER!!!!!!!!!!" At which point, the battle of absurdity began.
"Jonathan, you may not stand in the corner. It's time for quiet time."
"No thank you. I go to the corner please. No thank you quiet time."
"Jonathan, you may NOT stand in the corner! It is quiet time!!!!"
"No thank you quiet time. I GO TO THE CORNER!!!!!"
"Jonathan, you may not be punished! You will go to quiet time! You - may - not - stand - in - the - corner!"

How many parents would love to have THIS kind of argument? Just wait until he's a teenager. I don't think his room will ever see the light of day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ring Out Your Joy To God Our Strength

For all those who read this

Coffee Talk. Discuss.